Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Nature/Nurture

I love nature. I do. Honest. I drive a hybrid car. I recycle. I have a front-loading washing machine. I luuuuuuuuurve nature. I love it so much, I want to keep it pristine, clean, and most importantly, far FAR away from me.

I want to maximize my backyard. We have a nice backyard, plenty big, unfortunately it has a huge hunk o'granite in the middle of it. But we work around that.

I'm thinking beach - a big ole beach volleyball court IN my yard. How cool would that be?? No skeeters, no moles, no coons, no slugs. This pro guy - Todd Rogers, he managed it. A big fat sandbox with a net in the middle and a kiddie pool on the side. YES! FUN! 2 hour ride to the beach? Nasty public bath house? Questionable water quality? Buh to the bye, baby!!

One potential problem though............ how to keep the neighborhood kitties out? Tarp it every night?









What else could we do to minimize mowing? A cow? Llama? Alpaca? A goat? Baby boy is allergic to cow's milk, and there might not be enough space for a llama/alpaca, but a goat? That's got potential.


Goat milk, goat cheese.... making your own would probably be cheaper than buying it from Trader Joe's. And it would make a superfly homeschool science project. I wonder how much the vet bills would cost. Would they be comparable to the upkeep on a sandlot?

More importantly, can Billy Gruff cover a soccer goal?

4 comments:

MC said...

LOL! I vote for the goat. I desperately wanted one as a kid, but mean ole' mom said "no"

Karla said...

We had pygmy goats and we used to have to mow their pens because they refused to eat grass. Dumb things.

Sam said...

r u kidding? sand in the backyard....it will be all over your house and u'd miss your nice grass that stays outside...sand tends to come home with us from the playground...and all over the carpet and ceramics so annoying..mowing the lawn is not too bad...dh does it:)

Ashleigh said...

Lol! I vote for a goat. My high school science teacher had goats and he would bring the babies in each spring and they were sooo cute!